Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Kill the Buddha

It is said that if you meet the Buddha along the road you must kill the Buddha. In order to gain true enlightenment you must remove the one final standard set ahead of you and live as a lamp unto yourself. So much of our lives revolve around the standards and expectation of those around us. In the words of Howard Roark "If any man stopped and asked himself whether he's ever held a truly personal desire, he'd find the answer. He'd see that all his wishes, his efforts, his dreams, his ambitions are motivated by other men."

How clearly these words resonate in my ears, a type of alarm for a life lived half asleep to the directions, expectations, and opinions of those around me. And while I would not champion the total individualism of Ayn Rand's Mr. Roark, there is still much truth to be grasped in those words. In a few short days I depart for Sudan, taking the first steps on a new path that has been long coming. This blogg hopes to capture a small bit of a new life, and allow those of you who care to read it, a fuller understanding of what is going in Darfur. I offer no pretense for the words to be written on these pages, I only promise them to be honest. Enjoy the blogg; comment, critique, ridicule, and ignore at will because in the end the entries are probably more for me then for you. Regardless, I thank you in advance for taking the time to read, I hope that it is worth your while.

Peace

7 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

We read because what you have to say is well worth reading, and it gives us insight into a world where few have the fortitude to venture. May your trip be blessed with safety and apt prosperity. As always, take care and be well.

9:37 AM  
Blogger jeff cramer said...

Great to hear from you! I'll be keeping a close look at this blog and look forward to what you have to share. It's been too long. I'll try to send off a personal email soon.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott- Just wanted to wish you the best. Be safe. Good luck. Alison

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scooter,

Let's make sure we hang out sometime before you leave.

J-Kas

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, Be careful, do I sound like a parent.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

venture in wilderness..and experience life..as it is meant to be..some of us would be waiting here to experience life through your eyes..

so don't you see just despair,restlessness but do notice hope and courage too..

with best wishes

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the story on Massada.I think the 2 Massadas will soon be reconcilled.
Olajide

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home