Thursday, June 29, 2006

Tanks line the road

As I sit at my computer watching the images flashing across Al-Jazeera on TV I am joined in gripped suspense by millions across the Middle East. In less than a week the already hopeless situation of a Palestinians in the Gaza strip has spiraled towards destruction. Israeli tanks crowd across the southern boarder as jets scream across the sky launching missile attacks against bridges and electrical plants. Some where amidst the dark and destruction a 19 year old Jewish boy sits in captivity wanting for political powers far greater than him to decide his fate.

Sitting in Amman I can hear in the people’s voices the fear, anger, and mistrust of Israel continue to raise as each day passes. Those voices ask a similar question "Why is it that when Palestine captures an Israeli soldier it is kidnapping, yet when Israel captures 20 Hamas government leaders it is called arrest?"

Underneath the anger, the desire for revenge, and the frustration that both sides certainly feel there are hurting and broken people. Somewhere people are weeping for what has been lost. Somewhere God is weeping for what has taken place. And somewhere else people turn off their TV and go about their day.

A friend of mine once said "We are all wonderful Muslims, Christians, and Jews...but we are terrible humans."

Salaam

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi scott,

never knew you were such a lovely writer... and so deep.

keep safe.
simone

2:20 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

As a nation pinned between the psychological buffer of two huge swaths of ocean, it is surprisingly simple for us as Americans to tune out the conflict and destruction of countries beyond the "safety" of our borders. I can only hope that our self-induced blindness can be slowly chipped away through the insistent and eloquent words of people such as yourself.

Best wishes and safe journeys…Take care.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott A,it's good to hear from you and I wish you enough strenght to keep you going.I guess it is so easy for some to "turn off" and just continue with their lives because it is "their problem not ours"

I have hope that after this darkness and destruction,something new will be born.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scooter,

I am thankful for friends like you who make sure my eyes are wide open to what the "real" world is like. I can go about my day, day after day after day, and never even come close to reality.
As I sit here in my cubicle I wonder why God has placed me here, and not on the front lines. I am here to support people like you so let me know how to be praying and where to send my bloated paycheck.
Much love brother!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for such kind words, they all mean so much.

love
scott

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home