Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Roadblocks along the way

In any true adventure into the developing world one is bound to run across the ever enjoyable buerocracy that rules the day. Take for example getting a visa into Sudan...now this is a process that is to be handled by the office in the states and once the issue is resolved my visa/passport will be FEDEX to me with no problems (ha). So the journey beings...

1st snag-The Sudanese Embassy decides to send my visa/passport back to my home address in Chicago instead of to work. This might only be a minor problem if they would have gotten the address right; instead they made an interesting combination between Chicago and Boston.

2nd snag-In order to save time my wonderful family (I really do thank you for all of your help) decides to FEDEX it to me. FEDEX explains that it will get to Cairo by Tuesday and be delivered to my hotel. On Tuesday I get a call from FEDEX that informs me that the package has arrived...

ME-"Wonderful, when will it be at my hotel"
FEDEX GUY-"well it is being held in Customs, so we need a copy of your passport and a release form from you"
ME-"ok fine, so will I get my package after that"
FEDEX GUY-"NO"
ME-"WHY"
FEDEX GUY-"Customs has to hold the package for 24 hours after receiving the release form in order to inspect it and process it"
ME-"What, that's nuts, its frigg'n passport, what is there to inspect"
FEDEX GUY-"that's the rules"
ME-"why didn't you tell me this before I sent the package, I could have sent it to you three days ago"
FEDEX GUY-"It's not our job to know the customs rules and regulations; we didn't know they would do this"
ME-"Aren't you and international shipping company, if it's not your job then who in the hell is supposed to know!"
FEDEX GUY-"also you have to pay a 140 Egyptian Pound customs fee"
ME-"Again, something that I should have known before all of this!"
ME-"So you can at least promise me that you will drop it at my hotel tomorrow night"
FEDEX GUY-"no, our last currier takes his route at 4pm, and you package won't clear customs until 5pm"
ME-"so let me get this straight, I hired you to deliver my package two days late, make me pay extra customs duties, and to come and pick it up myself"
FEDEX GUY-"YES"

Well that's life I suppose, never the less I have my plane ticket (another fun story) and my visa/passport is secured. I will arrive in Khartoum at 5am on Thursday and go from there. Always an adventure.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

LOL...fun stuff kiddo. Take care and have a good/safe journey that's devoid of as many pains-in-the-ass as possible.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Jabulani!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home