Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Hoping for the Worst



The current state of Darfur has sunken into such a quagmire that it often leaves one hoping for the worst. The Darfur Peace Agreement (DPA) was signed May 5th, 2006. At the time many thought it was a serious step in the direction of peace, but a closer look would have revealed it as an ill conceived plan forced through by powers who wanted a quick solution. Eight months later we are left with the broken pieces of a peace treaty that was doomed to failure. The rebel groups have splintered into a million fractions, each fighting for position and power amongst themselves. The GoS continues to use the DPA as a type of shield to defend itself from all international condemnation concerning Darfur. Throughout all of this people continue to die and more families are displaced into huge IDP camps.

Yet as bad as all of this sounds, it is just clam enough to prevent any real change. Tensions remain high throughout the region and conflicts erupt in various parts of Darfur, yet more and more they become the common place theme here in Sudan. With out a unified force the rebel groups have no chance of achieving any type of real victory. Each group simply tries to seize power in what ever small corner they can control. Mean while the GoS continues to prove its brilliance against international pressure. No UN troops are on the ground, the AU’s mandate remains weak and useless, and INGOs are hassled and expelled at will. Every month that the status quo remains the same is a month that those with blood on their hand have won.

All of this leads the individual to hope for the worse. At least if the fighting erupted on a large scale the world would be forced to do something. At least if the DPA officially fell apart it would pave the way for a lasting peace deal to be signed. At least there would be an end in sight…at least…

For now I hope for the best…I still believe in peace…I am still willing to look for some type of progress…but I’m getting tired…everyone is. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Vynsparks said...

Hey Scott,

It is Vinay here. Some kid from Heller told me in the Fall that you were in Darfur and had a blog. We were both drunk at that time and I forgot about it. It just occured to me recently that I should do a search. I found it.

What are you exactly doing there? I guess you are not playing any football....

I am still not sure what is going in Darfur, but will read as much as I possibly can while finishing my dissertation.

Keep it up my man.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

how´s it going, I know things seem hard, today somehow I just started reading your blog, the other day I herd about you so I decided to check by. I love your stories, they sound so exciting and adventurous... thou there are always those struggles going on, but we can´t help it... it´s part of life. It seems hard there (of what I´ve read), but I admire your work and what you´ve been doing around there, it´s not always going to be easy, these things require a lot of effort.

Now days, things don´t seem to get better with any situation around the world, but the only thing we can do is wait... and have hope that things will turn out for good... eventually they will... someday they will.

well I just hope that things will get better for you, and hope to hear from you soon

take care

Steve...

1:00 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Merry Christmas love. I hope you had some way to celebrate the season.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SCOTT!!!

Hey this is Mia just in case..hehehe. I've been praying for you and Mr. Watson all this week, and I don't know why..God gave me this passage for you. Isaiah 60:1...I hope you can read it, I also felt that God is really happy with the heart you are doing His work...And don't forget that he is with you every step you take.
My e mail address is miadipiia@hotmail.com..I want to know what's going on with you

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home