Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Shot in the Butt!



They told me the shot would reduce the pain in my head and neck…what they didn’t tell me was that the way it worked was that the shot hurt so bad you quickly forget about the pain in your head and neck! It was like having someone surgically implant a softball in your butt with a rusty spoon!

Oh yea…so the reason I was getting the shot. Well the past two weeks I have been having terrible headaches and my whole body felt like it wanted to fall apart. So being the brilliant doctor that I am, I assumed it was the flu and rested and took plenty of fluids. After a few days without improvement I figured it was my bad mattress that was causing my neck and back to hurt so I switched beds. Still no improvement. Then I thought maybe it was all the field work I had been doing this week and the horrible roads and bouncing trucks where responsible. But after a few days back in Nyala away from the roads there was still no improvement. I was stooped.

So finally my stubborn pride succumbed to the pain and I decided to go to the doctor. (Mom and Lisa please stop rolling your eyes with disgust). So after a meeting with WFP to fight about food reduction I drove over to the UN clinic (ironic I know) and got some blood work done. While they where waiting for the test to be completed they told me I could lie down on a bed and they would give me a shot for my headache…at the expense of my butt!

Well it turns out I have Typhoid (kudos to you who figured that out by the picture)…just add it to the list of numerous other tropical diseases that have called my body home at one time or another. Of course I have already made it through the work week and now will simply be sick for the party on Thursday and poker on Friday…such is my luck.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am soooo sorry to hear that, the typhoid and the painful shot, you poor thing. Please take this seriously and take care of yourself. I know it will take time but hope you get better soon.
saman

4:06 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Now what would really suck is if while you were laying in your bed there was a tseste fly infestation!

You know I am kidding with you. Jabulani!

8:23 PM  
Blogger krickardblog said...

Oh Scott! Typhoid...that sounds so painful..so does the rusty spoon/softball thing. I wish I was there to drive you to the hospital (and laugh at you as they jammed a needle in your butt!). Take care of yourself and rest...hope you feel well soon.

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While the others are laughing (or trying to make money...what's up with that?) I truly feel bad for you. I can't imagine all the pain you've been going through and still keep a sense of humor.

Linda

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott! If only I could send you a little shark to keep you company while you are sick...where is that thing? Oh well, the shark sends well wishes that you are feeling better soon. Take care of yourself! Do you sense a theme here coming from you friends about your wellbeing...we mean it!

Sarah

8:02 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Sigh. You are indeed a marvel. Take care of yourself, kiddo.

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Earlking would be proud of your shot.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home