Friday, September 08, 2006

aahhh hell....


Sometimes I think the worst part of living here is getting used to it. The armed police in the streets become less and less a menacing terror and more of a traffic inconvenience as the days ware on. The weekly protest against the UN signifies a quiet work day because none of the national staff will come into the office. Even the talk of evacuation is usually discussed in jest thinking about the sheer boredom of sitting in Khartoum for weeks on end.

I don't sleep well at night. I would like to believe that it’s because my mind is a swirl thinking about the horror that surrounds me, but it more likely has to do with the donkeys outside my window, the bad mattress, and the heat. As the situation here deteriorates at an alarming speed I know that if things get really bad (or even just kind of bad) that all of the Western staff will be loaded on to planes and whisked to safety. That knowledge seems to frame everything. That reality allows me to discuss in abstract terms the possibility of the peace deal falling apart, because in the back of my mind I know the worse thing that could happen to me is that my job might be put on hold. How tragic that even in the midst of this appalling situation I can still remain remarkably detached. Its not that I am unfeeling or cold it’s just the simple truth.

I can extend my heart to the people and situation to its very limits, but in the end its the knowledge of what separates us that truly kills me. We are all humans, same flesh and blood, sorrows and joys, yet when the guns start being fired my life is worth enough to be flown to safety and protected in a compound, while theirs…

What is the life of a person in Darfur worth? Is it worth the price of an embargo, or UN troops, or a stronger AU mandate? Is it worth the hundreds of million of dollars foreign NGOs have poured in here, is there ever a monetary value you can put on a human life? Is it worth my time, my heart, my life? Please don’t take this as melodramatic…truth be told I think I know what the answers to these question are, I’m just not sure I can live with them…but even more afraid that I can.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree... we were just discussing that yesterday with some friends... It's really hard to put a line between your 'personal' and your 'professional' life, between you and the people you work with...the line is unfair, but to a certain point, is necessary in order to preserve your sanity... I guess you just have to think that you're doing the best you can in the time you have been given... beyond that, everything is uncertain and can change in a heartbeat... I really admire what you're doing, some of us don't have the balls to do that kind of job, even knowing 'the worst-case scenario' you described... good luck and big hugg to you.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott - I can't imagine what you are going through. I just know that things will be okay. Keep us posted on your daily life!

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am praying for you, honey...as is every single person I know here in the States! I cannot imagine what life must be like there, but please know how proud I am of the incredible man of God that you are and such a brave person to give so much of yourself to others. Please stay safe. Meggie and I need you home in one piece! I love you.

9:18 PM  
Blogger krickardblog said...

Scott, thank you for your words. They are vulnerable and heart breaking. My heart is bleeding for the people in Sudan tonight and for my own ability to live with the answers to your questions. May your stories continue to call me to compassion and humility. Kate

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are our lives worth more in the eyes of the world just because we were born in America? I just don't get it either Scott. Thanks for all you are sharing...

Sarah

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home