Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Here I sit in a tiny WFP airplane, looking out the window with nothing but hundreds of miles of endless desert beneath me, typing away on my computer. Trying to finally get to all of the thousands of emails in my inbox. I pump out response after response only slightly annoyed by the turbulence or the rough landing on the dirt runway as we pond jump from field site to field site. And it suddenly dawns on me…the sheer absurdity that has become my life.

In many ways it’s as though my world has been turned completely upside down. I find helicopter flights mundane, instantly falling asleep as the blades begin to turn. Gunshots outside my office invoke about as much reaction as a dishpan falling on the kitchen floor. Conversation inevitably stray into “peace agreement this…bombing campaign that…” and the idea of not driving my car in town because it might get hijacked is about as big of an inconvenience as the subway train running behind schedule.

On the other hand the sheer joy of walking into a super market in the US is untold. And the amazement of arriving at an airport and seeing how smoothly it runs is something to behold. Everything that I once took for granted is now awe-inspiring or simply stuff of legends (Like Bacon Cheese Burgers and Coronas!) and the mysterious trepidation of Darfur as withered away to “normal” life. I’m not sure if it’s a coping mechanism or just the reality of any place you call home for a year or two…its probably a little of both. I’m not complaining, in fact it’s a bit charming in its own right to feel so comfortable with what I am doing. It’s just funny to realize how quickly things can change…and most likely change back again. Such is the adaptability of humans I suppose, and I think we should all be grateful for that.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those things ARE boring after awhile, that is the craziness of it all. But imagine if a bar suddenly popped up in town, you wouldn't be able to control your bladder for the sheer joy of it.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nothing makes you appreciate the U.S. more than to live abroad (particularly in a developing country, preferably one at war). Granted, I heard gunshots regularly from my house in SE DC. I never jumped at them there, but when a car backfires here I freak out. Odd.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

i can see that anonymous once lived in nyala...

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My lovely mama likes to say, "If you're happy with your life, savor it because it'll change. And if you're not happy...well don't worry because it'll change." Indeed, I have found this to be as accurate as any truism I know, and reminds me that to be an adaptive and dynamic being is the best chance I have to ending up with more savored moments than tearful ones.

Take care, be well and keep on savoring...

3:14 PM  
Blogger --jenna said...

yeah...one of my coworkers was shot in the leg today...it was such a non-deal that he's going back to work tomorrow...

but it's a crazy, wonderful, shock-inducing experience to receive English language materials or go to a supermarket that carries breakfast cereal, peanut butter, maple syrup or cranberry sauce.

i don't know if we're sane or not...i quote philip k. dick, in this line i liked very much:

Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.

but this kind of boring is much to be preferred, i think, over the other options...

5:12 PM  
Blogger ...Abigail Marie... said...

scott, why have you stopped writing? i've liked reading your stuff.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey. just curious about where you are these days being that I hear that relief workers have been kicked out of darfur. hope all is well and good. talk to you soon.
-Jess

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Gatto999 said...

Ciao from Italy
=^.^=

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home