Thursday, March 15, 2007

Weeks like these...

Respiratory infection! Who gets a respiratory infection in Sudan? I thought those required cold, wet, weather…like the stuff the plagues places like Seattle and Great Britain for most of the year. But Sudan? I am so far away from anything that resembles cold or wet weather its ridiculous. I think the temperature topped 110 degrees yesterday and the closest thing to rain is the amount of sand in the air that blocks out the sun at times. Have you ever tried having a fever in 110 degree heat with no air conditioning…air conditioning, ha! I just wish the power would stay on for more than 15 minutes so that my fan would run properly. Oddly enough this strange plague has taken out three of us in the office; I suggested that the others started wearing SARS like mask so the whole office doesn’t come down with it.

My computer has been in a state of slow decline for several months now. For those of you who know me well, this comes as no surprise. Starting with certain functions not working, or taking nearly 30 minutes to turn on, or the DVD player not working, the computer has been in a state of constant rebellion against me. Today it decided that it would no longer open any icon I click on. This basically renders the whole thing useless because I can’t reach any of my files. Now I understand that computers are fickle and can break down. But what really bothers me is that I ask so little from my computer. I don’t download things, play music and movies, or do anything complicated. I use WORD and EXCEL. I check my email on line and go to ESPN.com. I store some photos and occasionally play a DVD. That’s it! That’s all I do and the things always breakdown on me. Needless to say I have decided to take proper action and I will store my computer in my desk drawer for seven days and seven nights and then it should be working fine.

I should have been on R&R a week ago. Of course I do not have an exit visa that would enable me to get out of here, so in Darfur I remain. There is a very good possibility that I won’t get another break until I make a return visit back to the States. So that would add up to one break per year. Something tells me that it’s not a healthy state to continue in, it seems like a form of work related self masochism. I would consider taking one of the trucks and make a break for the nearest border…but then I realize my options are Chad, Central African Republic, DRC, and Southern Sudan and all of a sudden Darfur doesn’t look so bad.

Woe of all woes! March Madness begins with my beloved Kansas Jayhawks with a #1 seed. The last time I was over seas and the Jayhawks where #1 they lost to bloody Syracuse and stupid Carmelo Anthony. Never the less I am sure that this year is their year, and I will be forced to watch the games on espn 30 second update. So while North American work productivity reaches its yearly low during the month of March in order to catch nearly 24 hrs. of straight college basketball, I will do my best to read about it online the next day and pretend it’s as exciting.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jon Watson said...

scotty,

illinois will play kansas in the sweet 16.

a #1 seed vs. a #12 seed.

since kansas has the reputation of losing to the #13-#15 seeds over the last few years, who do you think will win?

but if you've seen the illini play this year...ummmmm...i'm gonna pick Kansas.....sad as that is to say.

sorry about the 30 second update watching. when illinois went to the finals 2 years ago, i had to do the same thing. For that, God Bless ESPN.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

jon, i will wish the Illini the best so that they are able to play Kansas in the sweet 16, but somehow I have my doubts that Ill. will even make it that far...but who knows, its March Madness!

12:53 AM  
Blogger ...Abigail Marie... said...

this is random do you have a degree in what you're doing? i'm just looking into the different possibilities.
do you remember tim and jamie edwards from Isreal last year? i got your name from them.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kansas Schmansas.....

Sarah

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

watch the games live on www.cbssportsline.com

by the way, go salukis! i hate kansas!

10:10 AM  
Blogger --jenna said...

scott,

i saw a man last week in the federal police building in rio who looked just like you...except for the hippie vest and stripy clown pants! but it made me say a little prayer for you and think about sudan. hope you are well. rio's a furnace too. but at least there are no sandstorms, though i did cross paths with a sawed off shotgun on my way home today. :) take care!

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home